The responsibility of compliance with building regulations rests with the property owner. It is up to you to appoint a competent architect or engineer to ensure compliance with the regulations.

Before building commences you need to submit compliance drawings to the Building Control Department, showing how the proposed work meets all the requirements of the building regulations. As your engineer we will prepare those drawings for you and will inform the Building Control Department, on your behalf, of our proposed inspection plan as the building work proceeds. We will also sign mandatory certificates of compliance for the design stage prior to the construction stage and on completion of the construction stage.

A good idea is to appoint us to undertake a detailed set of working drawings that can be used to demonstrate compliance to the Building Control Department, whilst also being used to get accurate prices from building contractors.

The Building Regulations are very restrictive as to who can carry out this work for you. We are fully qualified and certified to undertake this work for you.

We welcome the change in the regulations, as it means that other companies will be forced to improve and provide a comparable service to the service, we have offered to all of our past clients. We feel it is only appropriate that every project should have a detailed set of working drawings and specifications to ensure everything is completed to the highest standard. The new regulations are reinforcing proper building practices are ensuring that these are implemented consistently. They also mean that there is a single point of responsibility if a mistake is made, i.e. the architect or engineer is held accountable.

We can offer this service to anyone; whether you are thinking of starting a new project, or if a project is underway and you feel your planning agent is not properly qualified or competent to undertake this aspect of the project, please contact Social Housing Co..

Fire Safety Certificates

Fire Certificates are required for all buildings other than individual residential houses. Fire Certificates are issued by the Local Authority Building Control Department on foot of a Fire Certificate Application which demonstrates that the building complies with Part B of the Building Regulations. In this regard the building must satisfy the means of escape, fire spread, fire alarm and access to the building by the fire services. Our team of experienced building designers can advise on the design requirements to comply with the relevant regulations and prepare the relevant applications to obtain a Fire Certificate for the relevant Local Authority.

Disable Access Certification

A Disability Access Certificate is a certificate granted by a Building Control Authority which certifies compliance of the design of certain works (e.g. new buildings (except dwelling houses), some extensions to, and some material alterations to buildings (except dwelling houses) with the requirements of Part M of the Building Regulations. We provide advice and expertise in dealing with these applications.

Expert Witness and Legal Reports

We can prepare professional reports suitable for use in litigation situations. We are available to attend, and to act as a professional witness at Courts of Law. Sometimes, a Solicitor when advising their Client will require a report prepared by an Engineer. This report will need to be accurate, concise and independent in order to enable the Solicitor or the Counsel to best prepare their Clients case.

We aim to provide an unbiased, professional opinion in our reports. These reports are prepared in a clear and concise manner, and are supported normally with appropriate drawings and photographs. Our experience has enabled us to provide accurate and fast assessments of various situations. This combined with the good relationships we have built up with many Solicitors, Barristers, Insurance Companies, and Public Officials help us to achieve the best results for our clients.

Boundary Survey

If a property boundary needs to be established, for example if it is in dispute or you need to buy or sell the site, we can help identify the boundary lines and act as an expert witness if required.

Land Surveying

We can carry out topographical surveys including contoured and level surveys.

Reports for Property Purchasing

There are a number of surveys and reports to be carried out when purchasing a property, be it residential or commercial. We can advise on which reports are necessary and carry out the work for you.

Building Survey Report (structural survey)

A report outlining any faults in existing houses (often completed when buying a house).